The end of lent. Hope you have enjoyed my lent prompts about dementia through lent. Also hope you have enjoyed the Eastermass posts from and including Palm Sunday a week ago. Hopefully you have learnt something about dementia or Easter.
I have made Easter Rocky Road and Simnel Cake.
Easter Rocky Road
- I used microwave to melt chocolate and butter.
- Smashed biscuits up.
- You need to be prepared with everything going to stir into chocolate so it does not set.
- Stirred in marshmallows, sultanas and crushed biscuits. It is stiff to stir.
- Then placed it into a flat rectangular dish and squashed down.
- Placed mini eggs on top.
- Put it in fridge to set. Ideally best to leave overnight.
- Once set cut into pieces.
I made this last year from Bero book as it describes as a round cake. I used same recipe to make buns.
- Used microwave to start combine sugar and butter.
- Mixed together butter and sugar.
- Added eggs one at a time, with a bit of flour in between.
- Added pinch of salt, mixed spice and milk.
- Added golden syrup.
- In the recipe the main fruit is current, I did not buy more currents and did not have many left. Therefore my fruit mix contained less currents and more raisins and sultanas than recipe.
- I used more glacé cherries than in recipe and only halved them as that is messy enough and I wanted to have lots of juicy cherries in it.
- Added remainder of flour.
- Used spoon to put blobs of mixture into bottom of bun cases.
- Rolled out marzipan and used cutter to create circles.
- Placed a circle in each buncase.
- Topped each buncase with mixture over the marzipan circle.
- Baked in oven as this was different to the recipe, I did not glance at time when put them in and just kept an eye on them. They did not take long so this was easier than making a round cake which takes 2 and half hours!
- Left to cool.
- Spread apricot jam on each cake.
- Stuck another marzipan circle on to apricot jam on each cake.
- Put under grill to brown slightly.
- Ate one cake as a tester. That left 11 cakes representing disciples apart from Judus; see yesterday’s post for clarification, regarding this.
I had hot cross buns for breakfast. I have the Rocky Road and Simnel cakes packed up now, to take home for my family. Now need to get them there and have traditional family Easter Sunday Roast.
Happy Easter 🐣 Or although not the same, just happens to fall at same time, this year: Happy Passover. Or just Good Sunday all!