- To get into city from airport best to get train to Centraal tram stop then tram lines are right outside station.
- If it is dry easy to walk round city and it is a great city for wandering. Many attractions are within 20 – 30 minutes from Centraal station. The other cluster is around Rijksmuseum. There is Van Gogh Museum, Diamond museum, Heneiken experience, Hard Rock Cafe within 5 minutes from Rijksmuseum and Albert Cuyp market within 10min from Rijksmuseum. It takes about an hour or so to walk fromCentraal St to Rijksmuseum and on a dry day, it is pleasant walking so you do not necessarily need to be constantly hopping and off trams. When I was there March 2016 it cost 2 Euros to travel on trams for the next hour of 7.50 Euros for 24hours both could be bought on the tram. When you get the ticket you need to validate it by putting in machine on tram to get time stsmped on. On the tram displays show what the next stops are.
- The other option for getting around is hop and hop off tours. I do not see why would need more than 24hours. I did full canal circuit in an afternoon for 2 hours. Then after a hot chocolate break another journey of about 20minutes on boat. Then half boat circuit. Then next day rest of bus circuit with another couple of hours to do more if had, of wanted.
- For chance to see herons within city, search for fish stall on Albert Cuyp museum. About 6 in evening when fish that were being thrown away was put out there was about 4 herons there.
- Definitely buy Anne Frank tickets in advance, after 3pm in the afternoon you can buy on the door but I saw queue at 3pm and think you would have been there hours and presumably if really busy you would not get in.
- For end of days recommend Heineken brewery tour which culminates in drinks on roof terrace. Or drinks in bar T Lookout tower there is a ticket that includes admission to Heineken tour and Lookout tour and canal shuttle between two. There is also Ice bar which, I did not try.